I mentioned in one of my previous blog entries that I planned on trialling a new race day nutrition strategy following on from Captain's experience with dosing on 120g/hr of Hi5 "Super Carbs". Previous post here.

Well, yesterday I rode with Coach Maty and I was out for 4 hours on the bike, not intense but around E1+ for the whole ride. I had 400g of Hi5 Energy Source "Super Carbs" orange flavour in the one bidon. Some points:

  1. Tastes fantastic
  2. Mixes really well, 400g in one bidon was not sludgy and not overly sweet either so I see no problem with a 600g dose for IM
  3. No stomach distress (most importantly)
  4. I was still feeling empty at the 3:30 mark even at this higher rate
The 3rd point for me was of course the most important. The 400g was gone by 3:30 so the rate was marginally higher than 100g/hr. Even at this higher rate, I still felt empty at 3:30, WTF? Perhaps it's my cast iron stomach but what I do know is that I will continue to push the limit each week by 10g/hr until that feeling subsides or backlash from the gut occurs.

So, Hi5 claim 110g/hr with this mix, so next Saturday AM, I have a brick of which 3h is on the bike. I will attempt to guzzle 330g, I am convinced it wont be a problem. What will be interesting this time around is how my gut copes on the run. This will be the key on whether this strategy is right for me.

I had a 1:20m run this morning and have a nasty 2:00 run again this arvo which includes 10x400m on the track. So, given the high intensity, I am going to fuel up and aim to take in 100g/hr of energy source. I don't generally take more than 70g/hr on the run but no better time than the present to either sink or swim.

So, stay tuned, I will provide further updates.

Buzz eating disorder of the day,
Orthorexia: A fixation on righteous eating ;)

Cheers,

Komo