This is part 2 of my update on my race day nutrition strategy.

I can report that I encountered no GI issues during the run last Sunday with the 100g/hr of CHO which was Hi5 Energy Source Smooth Orange Super Carbs. I wasn't sure how I was going to cope but I actually had to hold back and not take it on board to soon which surprised me somewhat. What was particularly pleasing was the fact that the run was not a dawdle, but was at a reasonably high intensity and there was no backlash. This was by far the most I have ever consumed during the run.

So, based on the successful ride and run of 100g/hr, I felt it was time to up the ante and push down 110g/hr during this mornings brick, 3h bike with a 40m run off the bike at E2a. The intensity on the bike this week was higher than last week and again, smooth sailing, downed 330g in the 3h and encountered no issues during the run. So, up she goes again next week.

If you have a chance, have a listen to Episode 49 of the Tri-Talk podcast, it covers high calorie intake during training and dispels the myth that we can only consume a maximum of 360 calories per hour which equates to 90g/hr as there are 4 calories for every 1g of CHO. http://www.tri-talk.com/ I think the part that I liked best was the correlation between a high calorie intake and the run times for the marathon at Ironman 2002 (I presume Kona?!?) The fastest run times were directly proportional to calorie intake, i.e. the higher the calorie intake, the more you could stuff in, the faster the run times. 8^)

So, why stop here, the science now supports 145g/hr, I might just have a dip at this quantity! Side note, Captain has mashed in 150g/hr on some of his lead in sessions to Kona and has reported ZERO GI ISSUES! But first things first, 120g/hr next week, all good things take time. If I can slam more calories into the "Engine Room", surely I can keep firing at a higher intensity for longer, or maybe a nasty purge will be the order of the day. I refuse to die wondering, as they say, no guts no glory!!!

Until next time,

The Iron Gut