My first taste of crit racing took place on Sunday at Footscray Cycling Club at the crit course at Drake Blvd Altona. With the Pina clean and crisp and ready to rock, it was a pleasant 9:30am start. Given it was my 1st race, I started in 'C' grade to earn my wings so to speak. Tactics and not fitness is the name of the game and is something I need to learn.

So, the format for the race was 50min of riding followed by 2 laps. The course was 2km in length and we covered close to 38km in the 50-55min or so of riding.

I sat back towards the rear of the bunch for the first 10 to 15 minutes just getting a gauge of the race and seeing who was who. There were mediocre attacks here and there but nothing that taxed my aerobically at all. After 20mins I decided to move my way towards the front and for the most part I rode 4th to 5th wheel and took some turns on the front, probably too many for a first up race.

I think I showed my cards far too early when with 20min to go, I went out and attacked, opened up a 20m gap and wanted to see if anyone came with me, one guy did, came past too fast and asked me to join him but he went by too fast for me to latch on so we settled back into the bunch.

There were attacks the entire time but no reaction from the bunch as it was too early (2km) per lap and with half a lap into the monster head wind, there was no real way you could launch and expect to out ride 30+ guys working together.

So, I sort of worked out who was who and made sure with 2 laps remaining I was never deeper than 4th wheel so I could react if any attacks came. After about 15min of racing I found the confidence to ride hard through all corners without braking or backing off, this helped to considerably lessen the effort required to hold the wheel out of the corners.

So, 2nd last lap, no attacks as such but pace faster to probably prevent attacks from happening. With 2/3 of the last lap, pace was hot, I was 2nd wheel and was just waiting to go. With 2 corners from the final straight (about 400m to finish) the lad that made the move with me earlier went and got the jump on the rest us by 30m. I moved to the front and went balls to the wall to try and catch him. I wanted the win, not 2nd or 3rd so went full gas. Started to pull him back but no closer than 15m :( I was a clear 2nd with 30m to go but the lights were fading fast and with 10m to go got passed by 2nd and 3rd place (I was on the rivet giving it all I had but just went too early). On the line I either held 4th or was pipped by a late lunge by a tyres width, not sure at this stage. Need the photo finish I think.

So there you have it, first crit, definitely had the measure in terms of fitness, was not tested at all except for final 500m and it was tactics that got me. Need to work on the tactics. Given I know who is who now I will tag that MOFO next race (2 wks time) and sit on his wheel. Problem: They now know me, I played my hand too early and paid the penalty, you gotta know when to hold em and I did not.

All in all, an absolute awesome day, too much fun. I am hooked. The road racing season has not officially kicked off for me and I am so looking forward to the change from what has been 5-6 yrs of Triathlon.