Finally, after many trials and tribulations, I have mastered the art of riding on the rollers. I managed 1.5h on them this morning and will ride another 1h on them tonight as bad weather forced my hand somewhat and I decided it was time to finally sort out how to ride these whacky contraptions once and for all.
It is NOT as easy as I had thought. My first attempt lasted 5 minutes and that was with thongs on and gripping the dining table with vice like strength. The rollers did not want a bar of me and kept wanting to spit me off the side. Mmm, time for some research, www.Youtube.com to the rescue as I searched for some vids of "how to" ride these things for the first time.
When attempting to ride on the rollers for the first time, I few things I found difficult to figure out:
1) How do I actually get on the bike?
2) How do I actually get on the bike with bike shoes and cleats?
3) How do I prevent myself for launching off into god knows what at escape velocity?
I have since managed to answer all of those questions with the key being to start riding in between a door frame making sure that I could push off the frame with my elbows to correct any sideways movement, much like pushing off another rider with your elbows when they get to close to you in a bunch. A few other things I have noticed which help make the ride smooth is to be relaxed, do not strangle the bars; keep a nice relaxed grip; pedal smoothly, very critical, choppy action is not good; engage the core, helps maintain stability. I think they are great for overall riding technique.
But one question still eludes me and that is :
1) How do I get to the bidon without falling? I still need to hang on to the door frame and then reach for it. Might need to go the camelbak option until further notice.....
So, what does this all mean?
It means that I can comfortably navigate my way around France in July 09 in the comfort of my home when the rest of the family is fast asleep! I plan on riding for approx. 2 to 2.5h per night on the rollers whilst watching the TdF stages and the rollers are quiet compared to the mag trainer.
The TdF impacts my ability to train as this is MUST WATCH VIEWING for me and I do no let anything get in the way of that. In the past, this has not been a big issue as it has been triathlon off season. But now the road racing season is in full swing and I do not want to lose any conditioning so I need to find another way to get the miles in (the weekday miles).
There is one added bonus, the Tour has in past years been a Festivus of Nutella, I'm not sure I will be skilled enough to jam down Nutella ladened sandwiches while navigating the rollers. It's a good thing too.
Well that's they way I roll,
Komo